Much of the history comes from the book,
"Backcountry Adventures Colorado" by Peter Massey, Jeanne Wilson,
& Angela Titus
This trail reaches an elevation of
almost 12,000 feet; is 5 miles long and usually takes us a couple of
hours. I have been remiss in taking
pictures this year, so some of these are from today; some from past years. On this trail, you will find the Caledonia Mine opened in 1872, the
Kittimac Mine and the Esmerelada Mine.
The tram that transported ore is still
visible. Built in the 1800s, it carried ore from the Kittimac Mine at the top
of the mountain to the mill next to the Animas River (about two miles & a
2,000' descent). Blows me away how much
of this stuff is still around.
The Caledonia Mill boardinghouse built
in early 1900s is still standing. I cannot believe I have no pictures of it today or from past years. Next time!
I did get the superintendent's house that is across the "street."
The first fork to the left goes to the Kittymac Mine.
Kittymac stables:
We always watch for this old yellow truck with the tree growing thru the center.
Over the years, the foliage has almost completely hidden it.
On top at the Kittymac Mine:
Spectacular views from the top:
Back down to the main trail, the Esmerelda mine is the right fork,
past the waterfall:
No comments:
Post a Comment